This module is designed to help you deal with financial information with more confidence. Using case study data you’ll calculate some key accounting ratios then interpret the results.
Who is it for?
Recommended for fee earners who want to improve their financial awareness.
Live training overview
This course is a practical session designed to develop your commercial awareness and understanding of company accounts.
Using exercises and a short case study you will advise on investment options for an expanding tech company.
You’ll learn to deal with financial information with more confidence. The session will revise the most common key performance indicators. Using case study data you will be challenged to calculate some key accounting ratios and interpret the results.
The session looks at how to value a business, the pros and cons of debt and equity finance, and key areas to help you assess financial stability.
Dealing with unfamiliar information in simple terms is the key to the success of this course.
This module complements the content covered in Finance Refresher 1 – Introduction to Company Accounts and Finance Refresher 2 – Introduction to Analysis and KPIs
FR 1 covers the basic components of a set of company accounts.
FR 2 introduces analysis and the key accounting performance indicators.
This module includes a case study that gives you the chance to put new skills into practice.
- Finding your way around
- The format and key elements of the primary statements – a quick reminder
- Valuation Exercise
- Using a sample P&L and Balance Sheet can you value a company
- Submit ‘sealed bids’
- Introduce the case study
- Expanding company needs funding
- One team advise the company
- One team advise the investors
- Using analysis and interpretation of performance indicators to assess
- Profitability and efficiency
- Liquidity and solvency
- Company pitch
- What makes them an attractive investment opportunity?
- Investor’s response
- Assessment of risk
- Additional information required
- Areas of concern
- Wrap up – what form should the investment take?
- Debt or equity?
- Company’s preference
- Investor’s preference
As a result of attending the sessions you will:
- Improve your ability to read and understand published accounting information
- Practise using financial interpretation techniques to develop understanding
- Explore different approaches to valuing a company
- Identify key areas to help you form a view of a company’s prospects
- Appreciate the importance of developing your commercial awareness
- Be encouraged to improve your knowledge of the economy, your clients’ businesses and financial reporting in a legal context
Live online – an interactive session using quizzes, polls and breakout rooms
This session is not a pre-recorded webinar.
Face-to-face training overview
Covering the same content as the ‘live online’ course this session can be delivered as 90-minute modules or as a half-day course.
PSC & SQE Courses
See all our PSC courses
Finance for Lawyers
See all our finance for lawyers courses