Negotiation Skills for Litigators helps you select the right strategies and tactics, plan the negotiation, and then negotiate confidently whatever your opponent’s approach.
Our Negotiation Skills for Litigators course introduces techniques for planning and handling high-stakes dispute resolution negotiations.
Negotiating with other parties is an essential skill for litigators and dispute resolution lawyers. Our negotiation skills e-learning will help you develop a strategic mindset for negotiating, as well as providing guidance, strategies and tips for negotiating with opponents on liability, quantum and procedure.
This short course introduces three key tools to help you to prepare effectively for a negotiation, as well as looking at how to handle difficult situations.
You can then download a Negotiation Skills PDF at the end of the course, together with the tools you will have seen in the e-learning.
Whether you are new to legal negotiating or looking to improve your telephone skills, this short online course will help you achieve a successful outcome for your client. The course was designed by experienced litigation solicitors.
Over three short modules and with a focus on common claimant and defendant litigation situations, this e-learning provides the key negotiating techniques through interactive video scenarios and multiple-choice questions. The course covers:
- Planning ahead for the negotiation
- Creating a Needs Inventory
- Deciding on your BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement)
- Using a Planning Checklist
- Handling difficult situations
- Professional ethics when negotiating
Using our tactics and tools, you will be equipped to manage the whole range of negotiation scenarios that you will encounter in a law firm.
- Negotiating on procedure or process (court directions, time extensions etc.)
- Negotiate on quantum (ranges, offers etc.)
- Negotiate on liability (full, 50/50 split etc.)
- Negotiations with opposing solicitors, insurers and third parties
As a result of completing the course, you will:
- Know how to prepare in advance for a negotiation
- Be able to deal with nerves, pressure and difficult opponents
- Understand your professional ethics
- Be more confident when using the telephone to negotiate
After the e-learning, you can prepare and conduct a short telephone or online negotiation. Our tutor will negotiate with you, and then give you expert feedback on your planning and negotiating skills. The coaching session is highly recommended as a way to embed and reinforce the key messages from the e-learning.
The negotiation coaching exercise can be based on a situation of your choice (relevant to your team) – e.g. seeking an extension of time, or a short quantum negotiation where liability has already been admitted. We can design the exercise to cover the factual, legal or procedural issues you want to address. Delegates simply download the exercise and fix their appointment online, and then complete the preparation work before conducting the negotiation by telephone or online.
You will receive clear action-focussed feedback on your approach.
Individual planning followed by a telephone or online negotiation
Negotiation Skills Courses
See all our negotiation skills courses
Litigation Skills Courses
See all our litigation skills courses