This is the template short description for a course. Ideally it should be about this long. Enough words but not too many would be great.
The synopsis should be a bit shorter about 140 characters including spaces. Use the focus key phrase. Probably, about this long.
This practical course covers interviewing witnesses and drafting trial statements for cases in the Business and Property Courts.
What new ways of working will make sure you don’t fall foul of the sanctions under Practice Direction 57AC? The course will help you to understand what you can and can’t do when interviewing witnesses, what you must now include in trial witness statements, and what should be left out. Using a videoed witness interview it will help you develop the skills and find the answers you need to fully comply with PD57AC.
This course covers:
- Pre-reading – short case study
- How might you influence a witness’s statement?
- Interviewing – the do’s and don’ts
- Planning – how to sequence your questions
- Leading questions – how to avoid using them inappropriately
- When can you show documents to a witness?
- Keeping interview records
- Drafting a statement
- Content – organising, including, excluding
- Using the witness’s words
- Basing a draft on the documents
- Perfecting the draft
- Challenging your opponents’ witness statements
- Spotting the problems
- invoking the sanctions
As a result of attending the course, you will know:
- how to conduct interviews that comply with PD57AC
- what a leading question is and how to avoid using one inappropriately
- when you can and cannot show documents to a witness
- what to include in (and exclude from) a trial witness statement
whether you can sign the certificate of compliance on a witness statement
Interactive online course with video of an interview. Small group work and polls.
Litigators running cases in the Business & Property Courts
All Litigation Skills Courses
See all our litigation skills courses